New Content

Illness from Hand Sanitizer

WARNING: Hand sanitizers can cause or death if ingested.

With the rise of colds and flu bugs, and the fear of the Swine Flu , hand sanitizers are more popular and prevalent than ever. It is important to keep them from the reach of small children, and all children should be warned against eating or ‘drinking’ the solution. Even licking your hands, after using the product for sanitation, can be harmful.

Most hand sanitizers have an level of more than 60 percent. Hard liquor, by comparison, is 40 percent while most beers are less than 5 percent . Unlike other poisons and alcoholic beverages, however, most hand sanitizers are easily accessible to children and most of us would not think about the danger.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration warns that alcohol can cause drunkenness as well as serious poisoning leading to seizures, coma, and even death in children – and that children are more sensitive to the toxic effects of alcohol than adults.

An email that is circulating the Internet about a 4-year girl who became seriously ill after licking her hands at is both true and false, according to our friends at – read about that here.



User Rating: Be the first one !

Check Also

two adults holding hands in the moonlight

What if there isn’t anymore?

One day a woman’s husband suddenly died, and on that clear, cold morning, in the …

Leave a Reply